It couldn't be easier to look after your Thorowgood saddle
There are many reasons a Thorowgood saddle makes an excellent choice for a first-time horse owner, so it follows that not all our Thorowgood customer will know how to look after their new purchase. Fortunately, being easy to care for is just one benefit of our popular T8 and T4 models.
1. Wipe down the smooth sections with warm water and a cloth. If it's really dirty, a mild detergent can be used. Remember to clean all surfaces.
2. Allow the saddle to dry naturally. DON’T put it on a radiator or leave it by the fire.
3. If the saddle has leather stirrup straps, take care NOT to apply saddle soap to the surface which comes into contact with the saddle flap.
4. Use a soft bristled brush (such as a body brush) to remove dirt from the seat and knee rolls.
5. DON'T use a suede brush. The wire bristles are too coarse for the T4 saddle material and could cause damage.
1. Wipe down the non-leather sections (skirt, flap and panels) with warm water and a cloth. A mild detergent can be used to remove stubborn dirt. Remember to clean all surfaces.
2. If the saddle has leather stirrup straps, take care NOT to apply saddle soap to the surface which comes into contact with the saddle flap.
3. Apply a cream conditioner (we recommend Rapide Leathergel) to the leather parts of the saddle (seat and knee rolls) with a clean, dry cloth. Avoid products that are glycerine or oil based, or those that contain alcohol (such as spray cleaners)